Saturday, 19 October 2013

london - illustration trip


The first stop was the V&A, one of my favourite places to visit in London as there is always so much to see. A quick dash round, meant I could see some of the permanent exhibits (above) taking photos and sketching things that caught my eye from these slightly spooky puppets, to an Edward Bawden biscuit tin, to a 2nd century goose pendant and a bejewelled Iranian dagger. There was also time to explore some of the current shows - The Memory Palace which was great because you got to see how different artists approached various elements of the same narrative; and Tomorrow-Elmgreen & Dragset which really made me think. I had never seen a visual interpretation of a narrative quite like this.

And of course it is not just the exhibits that can give you something to think about, this chap above would make a great character with his individual approach to clothing and facial hair!

The next stop was Somerset House. The photo below is from an exhibition about using neglected space in London. It was underneath the central square and the juxtaposition of modern exhibits, industrial elements and historical features (tombs) was visually interesting.


We also popped into the AOI Illustration Awards show while we were at Somerset House. The show was a perfect mix of accessible and inspirational.


An important part of the "London Fix"- traffic! and I love the juxtaposition of old and new. I took this photo as it contained elements that I could use for the Serco project.


A great day that ended with a beautiful sunset as we left the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment